Thursday, January 6, 2011

So...What are You Going to do Today?



So what am I going to do today? I have not heard this question for years. Before I started working outside the home I was ready each morning as my husband exited the house with all sorts of answers. "Drive the kids to school, make the beds, do laundry, volunteer at school, go to the gym, make dinner." I had so many responses even if I wasn't going to do any of them.

This Tuesday all my kids were back to school and my husband finally went back to work after the Holiday break. As he walked out the door he said, "So, what are you going to do today." This was my first day of returning to being a stay at home Mom with everyone out of the house, and I was not ready with an answer. So I responded, "I don't know."

Its definitely an adjustment and I am finding myself returning to some of the same activities. I've washed all the sheets in the house, reorganized the linen closet,  vacuumed, and I'm already thinking of redecorating a bit. I've picked up family members from the airport, helped a daughter fill her college frig with food, unpacked boxes with a daughter as she moves into her new home, and talked to my Mom on the phone in the middle of the day. I even made a wonderful stew the first day that is still sitting in the frig because my kids say they aren't used to me cooking. I've measured 3 dancers for new costumes, tidied up my sewing room, went to the fabric store for supplies, and deposited a few deposit checks for these dresses. I have worked out on the elliptical, done some Yoga, lifted weights, and eaten better.

Yes there are adjustments and I am finding that my days are filling up again. I'm spending less time sitting at a desk on a computer, answering phones, making copies, setting up video conferences, ordering lunch for 20 - 30 people, picking up lunch, picking up mail, distributing mail, signing for Fed Ex, signing for UPS, distributing packages, binding, stapling, restocking, sending emails, editing emails, sorting emails, creating expense reports, and any random needs from an busy office.

I guess I'll have some answers tomorrow when my husband heads out the door, even if I'm not planning on doing any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment