Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Remember...it was called Garden Poultry!!!!


While I was in my home town of Greenwich CT a couple weeks ago  I found myself in conversation after conversation about life in what was once a small town back in the late 60's and 70's. Life all over the country was slower and simpler back then, Greenwich was no different. Saturdays consisted of going to "the Ave" and just hanging out. During the summer the trip to the Ave came after you took the ferry  back from spending a day at Island Beach.

Like many memories they are fuzzy. And the name of the place where we got the most fantastic fried chicken and giant egg roles had escaped me for the last couple weeks until today. While I was visiting with family and was struggling with the name of  "the chicken place on Greenwich Avenue" they would  blurt out the wrong name, thus freezing my brain. I've been home for a week now and it came back to me in the whiff of the nose.

Here I was across the country in the mountains of Utah when I came out of the Irish Dance studio and like always caught  the aroma of Kentucky Fried Chicken across the street.  It was just the push I needed. My brain losened up just enough to hear those words down load in my brain ....GARDEN POULTRY!!!!!! Oh my gosh there it was, those words, that chicken, that smell, Yummmmmmm.....

Garden Poultry no longer exists like most of the stores on Greenwich Avenue in the 70's. Gone is Woolworth's, Mead's,  The Sports Shop, Pizza Palace, Baskin Robbins, Rodgers, Cheese Shop, Widmans Bakery, Pickwick Arms Hotel, Richards, Baskin Robins, The Country Store, Putnam Drug Store, B& G Army Navy, Carnival Card Stop, and around the corner Outdoor Traders.

Fortunately it looks like the Island Beach Ferry is still operating in the summer. Next time I find myself strolling up The Avenue after a day at the beach looks like I'll have to go to Starbucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment