Friday, December 10, 2010

Rebound Job


Without fail every day someone ask me, "Hey Ceal, what are you going to do?" They are referring to the imminent closing of my office and me no longer being employed. I tell them , "I don't know." I have plenty to do at home since working full time for a few years now. Mostly cleaning out closets, organizing cupboards, and sifting through drawers of knick-knacks and dried up pens. In the past couple month's I have been approached by a number of people offering me potential jobs and possible leads. I can't explain it but when this happens I want to run and hide.




Ending a job is like ending a relationship, and I'm not ready to get into another one so quickly. What if I get dumped again? What if they don't like me? What if I can't do the job? What if...? There is some comfort in knowing people are interested in me and if I wanted I could jump right back into another job. But is that fair to the next employer? I would be looking at them through very tainted glasses. Examining every email, assignment, and interaction comparing it to my last job hoping to somehow prevent something that I had nothing to do with, from happening again. Like a rebound relationship, a rebound job would have just about as much of a chance to succeed.




So what am I going to do? I don't know. I do know that I need to take a few weeks to enjoy the Holiday season and my family. Next week is packing week at the office and a Goodbye Christmas Party to finish things up. Once the cupboards, closets and drawers at the office are all cleaned out I know I have plenty of cupboards, closets and drawers at home to keep me busy for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment