Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Burgers, Cupcakes, and Integrity for Lunch.








Today we are having "In-N-Out" Burger's for lunch. "In-N-Out" just arrived in town a few month's ago. Up until this summer the closest one was a 4 hour drive away, and many people made the southern migration just to have their Double Double Animal Style, with Fries and a Chocolate milk shake. I didn't venture over to the local "In-N-Out" for month's because of the ridiculous wait time for what I thought was a simple Burger.




It has always been my job to choose where we get lunch. We have about 30+ popular restaurants in the area and I try and rotate this list so we don't get bored. Since we only have a few more days left of fabulous lunches provided by the firm I have asked anyone who comes to work to choose what they want. So far we've had Sushi, Hagermann's (a favorite Sandwich shop), and Trio Cafe. Today is "In-N-Out" Burger. I have only ordered Burgers two other times because if you have ever had to order and deliver more that about 10 Burgers you know they don't travel well, and fries are worse. You have about 15 minutes from check out to table before they get soft and squishy. Well today we have 10 people who have showed up so its Burger day.




So off I go around the office with an order form and menu. I included on the order form Milkshakes, which I usually don't encourage, but because there are so few of us and I am really trying to make these last days more bearable I listed Milkshakes as an option. Again I am encouraged by the integrity of those who will be collecting unemployment in a couple weeks. I would not stop anyone form ordering 2 of everything, including Strawberry, Chocolate & Vanilla Shakes. But there each of them sat with the order form in front of them wondering if they should get a Milkshake, debating on getting those fries or if we should just share.





Wikipedia defines Integrity as a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations and outcomes. In ethics, integrity is regarded as the quality of having an intuitive sense of honesty and truthfulness in regard to the motivations for one's actions. I love definitions, sometimes I think they are better than poetry. Words like Quality, Consistency, Principles and One's Actions ring so true and at the same time make me shake my head at what is happening in this firm.




Integrity can be regarded as the opposite of Hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy is not simply failing to practice those virtues that one preaches, Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.



Corporate Greed is something I have heard about, seen splashed all over Magazines & Newspapers covers, and constantly reported on the News. I always felt it was them and not us. I'm pretty sure its still Greed if you, having some authority, allow people to behave badly and you do nothing to stop it, and in the end benefit by others rapacious desire and pursuit of wealth, status, and power.



Integrity is one of those values that defines your character. We shared Fries today and got 4 Milkshakes, but I made sure to stop by a bakery and pick up some cupcakes to put a smile on the faces of those who are still coming into work.

No comments:

Post a Comment