Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nola's beauty secret



One of the signs of Independence for a child is when your parents would allow you to run into the store to pick something up while they sat outside in the car with the rest of the family. Being the 3rd child of 4 it was always my older sister or brother who got to run the errand. Finally my chance came when I found myself the oldest in the car, I think I was 11. As we pulled up to the drug store my Mom pulled into a "no parking" space and asked me if I could go get her special tape. I knew exactly what she was looking for since she had been using this tape for years. I also was sure I knew where it was. Armed with a couple dollars I ran inside and started looking for the tape. Up and down the isles I went searching. As the minutes ticked by I realized I needed help so I asked the person behind the counter. I explained how I needed the kind of tape you put on your face to keep from getting wrinkles. I still remember the person's expression, it was somewhere between bewildered and hysterics.




Needless to say I found myself back out on the curb without the tape. My Mother was really embarrassed and ended up at another drug store to purchase her special tape. I wasn't sent into a store for a few more years




My Mother has always been an inspiration to me. From the time I was a little girl I was proud to be her daughter. She was beautiful, talented and funny. Her looks have always been important to her and she has spent a lifetime taking care of herself. I have often been asked if she was my sister even with our 35 year age difference. Her beauty came from within with the help of some secrets.




I'm at that point in life where the wrinkles don't disappear so quickly in the morning. Funny creases on my upper lip and eyelid that appear in the middle of the night stay all day and can even be spotted as I grease up before bed. Do you know what I have started to do? You guessed it, Tape! Placing a small piece on the wrinkles at night before bed will help those lines to disappear and new ones to never start. I still can't find my Mom's special wrinkle tape, who knows what type she used. So for now Scotch Tape will do.


No comments:

Post a Comment